Office of Architects and Engineers Records, 1908-1988 (SAC 0060)

OFF-SITE STORAGE: COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.

Extent: 0.4 Linear feet (1 archives box and 14 map case folders)

The collection consists of maps, architectural drawings, blueprints, reports, photographs and administrative files relating to the development of campus infrastructure at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and UC San Diego.

The Office of Architects and Engineers (OAE) was responsible for the overall coordination of the UC San Diego campus building program. Construction projects were prioritized within the University of California's statewide building program, and then distributed to the appropriate OAE for management and completion. The UC San Diego office opened in 1957 under the direction of J. W. Tippetts, Building Program Coordinator. He was succeeded by Mac Alfred Cason, formerly the Chief Architect for Los Angeles County, in 1960. Prior to 1957, UC San Diego campus buildings and improvements were managed by OAE staff at UC Berkeley and UC Los Angeles.

Beginning in the mid-1970s with the reorganization of campus planning and building, the Office of Architects and Engineers was absorbed into Facilities Design & Construction (FDC). The FDC office became the primary service provider charged with the implementation of the Capital Improvement Program, including project programming, planning, schematic design, design development, construction documents, inspections, utilities, and construction administration for all capital improvements.

The collection consists of maps, architectural drawings, blueprints, reports, photographs and administrative files relating to the development of campus infrastructure at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and UC San Diego. It includes long-range planning documents, original structure elevations, and design proposals created, produced in collaboration with, or requested by the Office of Architects and Engineers. Plans and documents drafted by non-UC architectural firms are noted in the finding aid. Several items in the collection originate from the papers of Robert Marlin, UC San Diego maintenance supervisor from 1966-1987. These include reports, photographs, and files documenting the campus infrastructure during the period 1937-1958, when the physical plant was managed primarily by the UCLA Office of Architects and Engineers.

Arranged in two series: 1) CAMPUS MAPS & PLANNING. and 2) BUILDINGS.

Container List

CAMPUS MAPS & PLANNING

Scope and Content of Series

Series 1) CAMPUS MAPS & PLANNING: Maps, campus plans, reports and other administrative materials regarding the overall infrastructure of UC San Diego and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Materials are arranged chronologically within two subseries: A) SIO Campus and B) UC San Diego Campus.

SIO Campus

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Topographical Map Showing Vicinity of Scripps Institute for Biological Research, 1912 September

Herbert B. Foster, Engineer, University of California, Berkeley.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Proposed Boulevard Showing Right of Way Through Property, 1912 September

Shows boundaries of Pueblo Lots 1312, 1297, 1298 and 1299. Herbert B. Foster, Engineer, University of California, Berkeley.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Biological Institute, University of California, 1926 February

Plot plan and photographs showing La Jolla Shores properties. Evans-Lee Subdividers Corporation.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Topographic Map of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1927

Engineering Department, Office of the Comptroller, UC Berkeley.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Saturation Plan, 1930 December

Map depicting saturation of SIO campus foliage.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Campus map, 1931 February
Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Campus map, 1935
Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Scripps Institution of Oceanography campus map, 1939 May

Van Sant Company, Los Angeles.

Box: 1 Folder: 1
Photographs, 1942 - 1949

B/W photographs. Miscellaneous panoramic views of SIO campus.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Topographic Map, University of California Institute of Oceanography, 1945 June
Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Preliminary Study, University of California Institute of Oceanography, 1946 February

Site map showing proposed Aquarium and Museum Building, Scripps Building, Original Library and Ritter Hall.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Campus General Development Plan, 1946 July

Site map showing proposed Shops, Heating Plant, Aquarium & Museum Building, Navy Buildings and Director's Residence.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-01
Map of a Portion of La Jolla Shores Tract Adjoining Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1947 February

Herbert B. Foster, Engineer, University of California, Berkeley.

Box: 1 Folder: 2
Report on Anticipated Space Requirements at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography During the Next Ten to Fifteen Years, 1948 February 6

Written by Harald Ulrik Sverdrup.

Box: 1 Folder: 3
Report on the Structural Condition of the Scripps Building, 1949

Hillman & Nowell structural engineering firm.

Box: 1 Folder: 4
Manual of Rules and Procedures, 1950 July 1

A manual detailing SIO logistics and protocol. Includes personnel rules, business procedures and budgets, institution practices and facilities information.

Box: 1 Folder: 5
Sanitary Survey of Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1950 August 18

Describes SIO campus water supply, sewage disposal, plumbing features, garbage and waste disposal, food establishments, housing, residential animals, rodent and insect control, lighting, grounds and pier. UCLA Sanitation-Safety Division.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
Campus photographs, 1952 - 1966

B/W aerial photographs showing entire SIO campus.

Box: 1 Folder: 6
Utilities and grounds, 1953 - 1954

Documents and photographs pertaining to the sewage situation of 1953, illegally-parked trailers between 1953-1954, water lines revocable license from 1956 and a 1962 report of the Joint Operating Procedures for the Office of Architects and Engineers and the Buildings and Grounds department.

Box: 1 Folder: 7
SIO Plant Assets, 1954 February

An itemized list of SIO assets, including real estate, buildings and structures, utilities, equipment and library collections.

Box: 1 Folder: 8
Survey of property boundary in Pueblo Lot 1298, 1955 February 21

A letter to William G. Martin of UC Department of Architects and Engineers from A.K. Fogg, San Diego City Engineer detailing a survey of the "right of way" on La Jolla Shores Drive in Pueblo Lot 1298.

Box: 1 Folder: 9
Survey of property boundary in Mission Bay, 1955 May

City of San Diego Engineering Department.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Master Plan and required space divisions, 1956 August-November

Risley & Gould architectural firm.

Box: 1 Folder: 10
Master Plan, 1956, 1958

Site plan for the SIO campus and a letter referencing existing and expected spaces and areas. Depicts existing and proposed buildings. Proposed buildings include a circulating water channel, a pool, a lecture hall and two laboratories. Risley & Gould architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
Master Plan, 1960 February

Site plan for proposed layout of new buildings, including Research and Training Pool, Temporary Machine Shop and parking areas. Risley & Gould architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
Long Range Development Plan, 1962 June

Site plan for a proposed layout of the SIO campus. Robert E. Alexander & Associates architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Topographic map, 1962 August

Stanley C. Rogers, La Mesa Engineering Service.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Basic Topographic Map, 1986 November

UCSD Office of Architects & Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
Topographic campus maps, 1988

Print negatives mounted on mylar.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Basic Topographic Map, 1989 October

UCSD Office of Architects & Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Basic Topographic Map, 1993 March

Office of Architects & Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
Topographic contour maps of SIO campus, undated
Oversize: SIO MC-117-02
La Jolla Shores Drive, undated

A topographic map detailing a section of La Jolla Shores Drive. Scripps Estates Associates.

UC San Diego Campus

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Survey of the Pueblo Lands of San Diego, ca. 1920

George Cromwell, City Engineer. Shows geographical location of plots corresponding to future UCSD property.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-03
Land Study for University Development, 1957

University of California at La Jolla. Risley & Gould architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-03
University of California La Jolla Campus, ca. 1959

Map designating proposed location for UC San Diego campus. Details include Pueblo Lands of San Diego, False Bay, temporary Navy structures, land plots and existing SIO campus.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-03
Del Mar Quadrangle, 1975

Detailed topographic map of San Diego County. Aerial perspective of UCSD campus and SIO. Print negative mounted on mylar. U.S. Department of the Interior Geological Survey.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-03
Campus maps, 1966 - 1976
Box: 1 Folder: 11
Upper and Lower Campus map, 1984

BUILDINGS

Scope and Content of Series

Series 2) BUILDINGS: Maps, architectural drawings, blueprints, building plans, photographs and project materials detailing the construction and development of specific SIO campus buildings and grounds. Subseries A) consists of blueprints and renovation plans for the historic George H. Scripps Memorial Marine Laboratory, commonly referred to as the Old Scripps Building.

Materials are arranged chronologically within five subseries: A) Old Scripps Building (George H. Scripps Memorial Marine Laboratory), B) Original Scripps Library, C) Residences, D) Laboratories, E) Aquarium & Museum and F) Miscellaneous Structures.

Old Scripps Building

Oversize: SIO MC-119-11
Blueprints (copies of originals), 1908
Oversize: SIO MC-119-11
Rubbing of brass National Historic Landmark plaque, 1983
Oversize: SIO MC-119-12
Restoration blueprints, 1979, 1981
Oversize: SIO MC-119-13
Restoration blueprints, 1982, 1983

Original Scripps Library

Oversize: SIO MC-117-04
Proposed Museum, ca. 1915

Original library. Two architectural sketches drawn in pen and watercolor showing front and side elevations of building. Wheeler & Halley architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-04
Library blueprints, 1915 - 1916

Wheeler & Halley architectural firm.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-04
Proposed Alterations to Library Building, 1931 October

UC Berkeley Department of Buildings and Grounds.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-04
Proposed Alterations of Present Buildings, ca. 1945

H.B. Foster, engineer and W.P. Stephenson, architect cited.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-04
Library Stacks, 1946 May

Two building maps detailing the placement and installation of book stacks in the original SIO library.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-05
Library Remodeling, 1953 December
Oversize: SIO MC-117-05
Proposed Library Alterations, 1953 April - 1954 April
Oversize: SIO MC-117-05
Architectural sketches, 1961

Twelve sketches of the original SIO library on vellum paper. Includes floor plans and exterior elevations. M.J. Voight cited.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-05
Library Alterations, 1961 - 1966

UCSD Office of Architects & Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-117-05
Remodeling of Library Building, 1963 July - 1964 November

Weston, Liebhardt & Weston architectural firm. Frederick Liebhardt, Consultant and Eugene Weston III, Associate cited.

Box: 1 Folder: 12
Demolition, 1968 - 1973

Materials and correspondence detailing structural investigation and demolition.

Residences

Box: 1 Folder: 13
Housing, photographs, 1937

B/W photographs. Exterior views of cottages, Community House and Director's House.

Box: 1 Folder: 22
Cottages - Photographs of blueprints
Oversize: SIO MC-118-06
Cottages, 1938 - 1939

Twenty architectural layout maps detailing floor plans and elevations of SIO cottages. University of California Department of Grounds and Buildings.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-06
Addition to Building No. T-28, 1959 January

Laboratories

Oversize: SIO MC-118-07
North Laboratory Building (Ritter Hall), 1930-1931

Twenty-one blueprints. Louis J. Gill, architect.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-10
Ritter Hall, 1953 April

Architectural blueprints detailing additional wing to Ritter Hall. Includes floor plans and proposed curricular purposes for classrooms.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-07
Grading Study East of Ritter Hall, 1955 June
Box: 1 Folder: 14
Laboratory Buildings No. 2 and 3 (Sverdrup Hall, Sumner Auditorium) - Elevations and photographs of artists' renderings, 1958
Oversize: SIO MC-118-07
Marine Biology Instruction & Research Building (Hubbs Hall), 1969 June 23

Includes one plan depicting the entire SIO campus and thirteen plans detailing construction phases of the building. Liebhardt/Weston/Forester architectural firm. Mac Alfred Cason, Campus Architect and A. Quincy Jones, Consulting Architect cited.

Box: 1 Folder: 15
Marine Biology Instruction & Research Building (Hubbs Hall), 1973 November

Liebhardt/Weston/Forester architectural firm.

Aquarium & Museum

Box: 1 Folder: 16
Proposed Changes Museum Building, 1945

Notes recording cost and details for museum renovations.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-08
Aquarium & Museum Building, 1945 November

Depicts main floor, mezzanine, longitudinal section and plot plan. Frank L. Hope, Architect.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-08
Aquarium & Museum, 1949 October

Depicts second floor plan, door details and construction schedule. Frank L. Hope, Architect.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-08
Experimental Aquarium, 1955 May

Includes plot plan, sectional plan and two exterior elevations. Frank L. Hope & Associates architectural firm.

Miscellaneous Structures

Oversize: SIO MC-119-14
Water tank and salt water system, 1910

Irving J. Gill, Architect

Box: 1 Folder: 17
Approval for original pier, 1914 July 22

A letter from the War Department granting approval for the construction of a pier at the Scripps Institute for Biological Research.

Box: 1 Folder: 18
Repairs of Pier, Scripps Institution for Biological Research, 1925 July

Herbert B. Foster.

Box: 1 Folder: 19
Flow Tank Data, 1955 January 28

Includes mechanical details and statistics.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-09
Flow Tank Plan, 1955 January 28

Blueprint depicting transformer, switchgear room and steel grating. UCLA Office of Architects and Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-09
Refrigeration Boxes for Core Storage, 1956 April

UCLA Office of Architects and Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-09
Aqua Lung Training and Research Facility, 1959 October

One artistic rendition and two blueprints. Aetron of Aerojet-General Corporation.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-09
SIO Ship Operating Facilities Site, 1964 September 22

Topographic map. Notes and boundary data revised October 29, 1964. Freeland, Evenson and Christensen architectural firm.

Box: 1 Folder: 20
Sea Water Conversion Tower, 1964 - 1965

Includes correspondence, field data, reports and requisition forms. UCSD Office of Architects and Engineers.

Box: 1 Folder: 21
Salt water utilities, 1964 - 1968

Maintenance and improvements to the SIO salt water system. UCSD Office of Architects and Engineers.

Oversize: SIO MC-118-09
Inshore Oceanographic Research Facility, ca. 1968

One poster board illustration.