UC San Diego now has O’Reilly for Higher Education, replacing the Safari/O’Reilly Tech book collection that is being retired. We now have access to more IT/tech publisher content (including videos) than just O’Reilly. The new platform has unlimited simultaneous users. ProQuest has a user guide to introduce you to the interface, how to browse and search, and how to create your own playlists and follow playlists created by others.
How to Access OHE:
Unlike the other library-licensed electronic resources, OHE does not require VPN. However, you are still required to login, and if you are going back and forth between OHE and other licensed e-resources, you should have VPN running to access those.
- When you go to OHE, select University of California, San Diego from the dropdown menu and sign in. You will be redirected to the campus single sign-on page. Login using your Active Directory (email) username and password. Duo two-factor authentication is also enabled.
- The user login is persistent for 30 days (within that browser) or until the user signs out. You should sign out when accessing OHE with their account via a public machine.
- If you get routed to this page (https://www.oreilly.com/member/) after you login with your AD credentials, this page will not let you login to OHE:
- Try changing to another browser, e.g. try Chrome if Safari doesn’t work.
- Clear the browser cache/cookies.
What’s in OHE:
OHE contains close to 48,000 titles of technical eBooks, videos, interactive tutorials, case studies, learning paths and audio books from O’Reilly & Associates, including selective titles from 200+ global publishers including McGraw-Hill, Pearson Technology Group (Addison-Wesley, Alpha, Financial Times Prentice Hall, Cisco Press, New Riders, Peachpit Press, Prentice Hall PTR, Que and Sams), HarperCollins, Pakt Publishers, MIT Sloan Management, ASTD, Apress, Amacom, and other learning providers. The subject coverage ranges from Business, Desktop & Web Applications, Data Science & Management, Digital Media, Engineering, Information Technology & Software Development & Architecture, Math & Science, and Personal & Professional Development going back to 2007. This database also contains 30,000+ hours of video including presentations from O’Reilly for Higher Education video.
Please contact us if you have any questions about using OHE.