- LGBT people have lower overall access to care, and are less likely to be insured than their heterosexual counterparts.
- Transgender people face additional challenges to accessing care including stigma and high cost of trans-specific care. As a result, 50% have injected hormones through illegal means.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons are approximately 2.5 times more likely to have a mental health disorder than heterosexual men and women.
Please join our lunchtime presentation and discussion. Learn about a range of topics including San Diego County physicians’ attitudes toward LGBT patients, mental health disparities in the LGBT community, clinical support for transgender children, and providing culturally competent HIV care. Panelists will present for approximately 10 minutes each, and there will be a Q&A session to follow.
Our panelists include:
- Gregory E. Koch, Psy.D., Psychologist at UCSD’s Muir College
- Maja Marinkovic, MD, Co-Director of the Gender Management Clinic at Rady Children’s & Endocrinologist
- Chris Matthews, MD, Director of Research Infrastructure, Owen Clinic and Professor of Clinical Medicine
- Amy Sitapati, MD, Medical Director, La Jolla Internal Medicine, and Clinical Professor of Medicine