We are happy to announce the long-awaited reopening of Geisel Library on June 28, 2021! Here’s what you need to know.
Beginning Monday, June 28, 2021, Geisel Library’s 1st and 2nd Floors West will be open Sunday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. At least 300 study seats, including computers, will be available for individual study, and reservations will not be required. Currently-enrolled UC San Diego students, including UC San Diego Extension students, faculty and staff may utilize the space. Building capacity can be viewed in real-time via the Library homepage, the Library hours page, and the Waitz app. Please note the following:
- Be prepared to show your campus ID at the door as well as your campus health screening / “green thumb” report
- Masks must be worn at all times while in the building
- This space is only intended for individual study, so there will be no library services provided at this time and no access to group study rooms or the collections
- Appointments for Special Collections & Archives will be available for all UC affiliates
- Patrons will still be able to access HathiTrust’s digital collections via the Emergency Temporary Access Service
- Information about currently available Library resources and services can be found at lib.ucsd.edu/remoteservices
- The Teaching + Learning Commons will be open to students during Library hours
- Audrey’s Cafe will remain closed due to San Diego County guidelines for indoor dining
More information about access to additional library resources and services during Summer Session I and II is forthcoming. Until June 11, currently-enrolled UC San Diego students, faculty and staff may utilize the Biomedical Library Building (BLB) for individual, quiet study. After June 11, the BLB study space will remain closed until the building fully reopens on Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
On Monday, September 13, 2021, Geisel Library will fully reopen to UC San Diego students, faculty, staff and the general public. In-person services will resume, the collections will be accessible, and access to physical spaces will be expanded, such as Geisel’s tower, group study rooms, and the Graduate Study Lounge at BLB. Information about regular open hours is forthcoming, but we are striving to make Geisel available 24/5 (intersession hours will be observed until fall quarter begins). More information about available library resources and services during fall quarter will be announced soon.
Please note that these plans are subject to change at any time based on State, County, and campus guidelines.