Sponsored by Laurayne Ratner with support from Thurgood Marshall College
RSVP at hlhw_polin.eventbrite.com.
On Wednesday, April 11, the HLHW series will feature Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Chief Curator of the Core Exhibition at POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews and Professor Emerita of Performance Studies at New York University. Facing the Monument to the Ghetto Heroes on the site of the Warsaw ghetto and prewar Jewish neighborhood, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews completes the memorial complex. At the monument, visitors honor those who have died. At the museum, their lives – and the lives of those who came before and after – are honored through remembrance. This lecture explores the creation of POLIN Museum and its multimedia narrative exhibition, a journey of a 1,000 years, and its potential to be an agent of transformation that can move an entire society forward. Her books include Destination Culture: Tourism, Museums, and Heritage; Image before My Eyes: A Photographic History of Jewish Life in Poland, 1864–1939 (with Lucjan Dobroszycki); They Called Me Mayer July: Painted Memories of a Jewish Childhood in Poland Before the Holocaust (with Mayer Kirshenblatt), and Anne Frank Unbound: Media, Imagination, Memory (with Jeffrey Shandler). Kirshenblatt-Gimblett received an award for lifetime achievement by the Foundation for Jewish Culture, the Yosl Mlotek Prize for Yiddish and Yiddish Culture, honorary doctorates from the Jewish Theological Seminary of America and the University of Haifa, and the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland from the President of Poland. To RSVP, click here.
To learn more about UC San Diego’s Holocaust Living History Workshop, contact Susanne Hillman at HLHW@ucsd.edu or (858) 534-7661.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. For information on visitor parking, click here. The closest parking to Atkinson Hall Auditorium is parking lot P502. For more information about accessible parking on campus, click here.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. Turn left on to Voigt Drive.
9. Follow Voigt Drive to the first stop sign.
10. Lot P502 will be located on the left at the corner of Voigt Drive and Engineer Lane.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. Turn left on to Voigt Drive.
8. Follow Voigt Drive to the first stop sign.
9. Lot P502 will be located on the left at the corner of Voigt Drive and Engineer Lane.