Point Loma looking north through the silver-gate, the entrance to San Diego Bay one of the three scenic harbors of the world. North Island, Coronado, and the city of San Diego in the distance. Point Loma is a peninsula 7 miles long with cliffs 400 feet high, that forms a natural protecting arm for the west side of San Diego Bay. Here in ancient times the Spanish built a small fort of cobblestone, called Fort Guijarros (pronounced Geeharros). On this point Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo first set foot on California soil in 1542. In 1852 the United States government established a military reservation and in 1870 the outer end of the point became what was known as Fort Rosecrans.
- Date Issued
- Location Of Originals
This digital image is a surrogate of an item from the Baja California and the West Postcard Collection.
Point: 32.67, -117.241944
View formats within this collection
- No linguistic content; Not applicable
- Related Resource
Online finding aid
Curteichcolor 3-D Natural Color Reproduction (Reg. U.S.A. Pat. Off.)
Western Publ. & Nov. Co., 259 So. Los Angeles St., L.A., Calif.
- Cite This Work
[Title, Date]. Baja California and the West Postcard Collection. MSS 235. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires the written permission of the copyright holders(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Libraries. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Libraries department having custody of the work.
- Digital Object Made Available By
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/sca)
- Last Modified