Illustrated Morphological Glossary of Hydromedusae
- Cite This Work
Mendoza-Becerril, María; Estrada-González, Mariae; Mazariegos-Villarreal, Alejandra; Restrepo-Avendaño, Luisa; Villar-Beltrán, Rogelio; Agüero, José (2020). Illustrated Morphological Glossary of Hydromedusae. In dataMares: Ecosystem Dynamics. UC San Diego Library Digital Collections. https://doi.org/10.6075/J0445K1F
Morphological characters of hydromedusae and their description in Spanish and English, besides structure synonyms, are included. For the compilation of the terms with their synonyms and definitions, a search and consultation were carried out in scientific articles, online databases, dictionaries, and specialized books on hydromedusae, and the authors also provided the experience of daily contact with hydromedusae. These structures are used to identify the hydromedusae taxa, and commonly they are used in morphological descriptions and dichotomous keys. Also, examples of hydromedusae taxa are included with the specific structure and a scheme of the structure described.
- Scope And Content
- Date Collected
- Date Issued
- Research Team Head
- Data Manager
Data was compiled searching in specialized literature on morphological characters of hydromedusae.
- Technical Details
Software used: Microsoft Excel. Coordinate system: WGS 1984.
View formats within this collection
- Spanish; Castilian
- Related Resource
- Boltovskoy, D. et al. (1999). "General biological features of the South Atlantic." South Atlantic Zooplankton. Ed. Demetrio Boltovskoy. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys. 1-8. ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Demetrio_Boltovskoy/publication/246294171_General_biological_features_of_the_South_Atlantic/links/55aedca108aed614b09a7a1c/General-biological-features-of-the-South-Atlantic.pdf
- Bouillon J., Barnett T.J. (1999). The marine fauna of New Zealand: Hydromedusae (Cnidaria:Hydrozoa). Wellington: National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research.
- Boullion, J., Gravili C., Pagès, F., Gili, JM., & Boero, F. (eds.). (2006). An Introduction to Hydrozoa. Paris: Publication Scientifiques du Museum. https://sciencepress.mnhn.fr/en/collections/memoires-du-museum-national-d-histoire-naturelle/introduction-hydrozoa
- Colin SP, Costello JH. 2002. Morphology, swimming performance and propulsive mode of six co-occurring hydromedusae. The Journal of Experimental Biology 205: 427-437. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11854379/
- Cornelius PFS. 1995. North-west European thecate hydroids and their medusae. Part 1. Introduction, Laodiceidae to Haleciidae. Synopses of the British Fauna (New Series) 50: 1-347.
- ETI BioInformatics. 2020. Marine Species Identification Portal. Accessed 2020-04-20. Available from https://species-identification.org/index.php
- Fautin DG. 2009. Structural diversity, systematics, and evolution of cnidae. Toxicon, 54: 1054-1064. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2009.02.024
- Gershwin LA. 2006. Aldersladia magnificus: a new genus and species of hydromedusa (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa: Leptomedusae: Aequoreidae) from tropical and subtropical Australia. The Beagle, Records of the Museums and Art Galleries of the Northern Territory 22: 9–13.
- Gershwin LA. 2016. Jellyfish: A Natural History. Barcelona: University of Chicago Press.
- Haeckel E. 1882. Report on the deep-sea medusae dredged by H. M. S. challenger during the years 1873-1876. Zoology, 4: 1-105.
- Hand C, Hendrickson JR. 1950. A two-tentacled, commensal hydroid from California (Limnomedusae, Proboscidactyla). The Biological Bulletin, 99: 74-87. https://doi.org/10.2307/1538753
- Hertwig O, Hertwig R. 1878. Das nervensystem und die sinnesorgane der Medusen. England: Royal college of Surgeons of England.
- Jarms G, Morandini AC. 2019. World Atlas of Jellyfish: Scyphozoa Except Stauromedusae. Hamburg: Dölling und Galitz Verlag.
- Katsuki T, Greenspan RJ. 2013. Jellyfish nervous system. Current Biology, 23: R592. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2013.03.057
- Lender T, Devault R, Le Moigne A. 1982. Diccionario de Biología. Barcelona: Grijalbo.
- Licandro P, Fisher A, Lindsay DA. 2015. Cnidaria: Syphozoa and non-colonial Hydrozoa. En L. Castellani y M. Edwards (Eds.), Marine Plankton (pp. 198-231). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Mayer AG. 1910. Medusae of the world. Washington: Carnegie Institution Washington.
- Pascoe FP. 1880. Zoological classification: handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. Londres: J. Van Voorst.
- Petersen KW. 1990. Evolution and taxonomy in capitate hydroids and medusae (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 100: 101-231.
- Puce S, Cerrano C, Boyer M, Ferretti C, Bavestrello G. 2002. Zanclea (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa) species from Bunaken Marine Park (Sulawesi Sea, Indonesia). Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK, 82: 943-954. More ...
- Rights Holder
- UC Regents
Under copyright (US)
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
Constraint(s) on Use: This work is protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" or any license applied to this work requires written permission of the copyright holder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
- Digital Object Made Available By
Research Data Curation Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/rdcp)
- Last Modified