The California Missions. Built between 1769 and 1823. Father Serra, his companions and successors down to 1833, baptized over 90,000 Indians who lived along the coast or who came into the Missions from the central valleys. During the rule of Mexico, the Missions were secularized and confiscated, the Indians dispersed and most of the Missions falling at least into partial ruin. All have been restored in whole or in part during the past 63 years (beginning with Carmel in 1884). The purpose of the Missions was to convert the Indians to Christianity and to teach them civilization on the Spanish pattern.
- Date Issued
- between 1950 and 1959
- Cite This Work
[Title, Date]. Baja California and the West Postcard Collection. MSS 235. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
- Related Resource
Online finding aid
View formats within this collection
- Location Of Originals
This digital image is a surrogate of an item from the Baja California and the West Postcard Collection.
- Digital Object Made Available By
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/sca)
- Publication Information
"Plastichrome" by Colourpicture, Boston 15, Mass., U.S.A. Distributed by Mitock & Sons, 13561 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires the written permission of the copyright holders(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Libraries. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Libraries department having custody of the work.