Library Digital Collections

Scripps Institution of Oceanography Photographic Laboratory Collection

View Collection Items

Collections »

Scripps Institution of Oceanography Photographic Laboratory Collection

About this collection

Extent

3761 digital objects.

Description

The Scripps Institution of Oceanography Photographic Laboratory was established in 1949 to provide photographic services to the SIO community. Any SIO academic, administrative or research units could request these services. Photographic requests were usually for still images. Subjects included aerial views of La Jolla and the Scripps campus, artifacts, campus buildings and events, faculty and staff at work, marine specimens, research ships, and scientific instruments. Moving images were sometimes requested, often of expeditions at sea. Beginning in 1958, the Photographic Laboratory’s scope expanded to include what would become the newly established San Diego campus of the University of California, recording the construction of campus buildings and early campus events. The Photographic Laboratory closed in 2000.

Creation Date
  • 1905-2003
Creator

Formats

View formats within this collection

Language
  • No linguistic content; Not applicable
Related Resource