New to the Library?
New to the UC San Diego Library and don't know where to start? Try one of the options below. For immediate research help, Ask a Librarian now!
How do I…
- …get the books and articles I want?
- BOOKS/JOURNALS: Use our online catalog to find books and journals in the UC San Diego Library. More...
- ARTICLES: Search online databases to find articles from scholarly journals. When you see the gold UC eLinks button, click it to get the full text of your article. More...
- Use Citation Linker to find an article for which you already have citation information (title, author, journal name, date, etc.). More...
- Browse all UC San Diego e-journals or lists of recommended resources by discipline as another way to get started.
- …get materials UC San Diego doesn't own?
- Use Circuit to find books held at other San Diego libraries, or Melvyl for books and items at other UCs and beyond. You can order items directly through either Circuit or Melvyl and have them delivered to the UC San Diego Library for you to check out. More...
- Fill out an interlibrary loan request form for items not found in Circuit or Melvyl.
- …access the Library's online resources from off campus?
- …get materials my instructor says are on "reserve"?
- Search by instructor, course, or department here. Some items are available electronically. For others, take the call number to the Geisel or BLB Front Desk to check it out (or to the Media Desk on Geisel’s 1st Floor West for media reserve materials). More...
- …check out or renew Library materials?
- Use the self-checkout machines near the entrances to the Geisel and Biomedical Library buildings, or go to the building's Front Desk.
- To renew, login to your library account and select the items you'd like to keep longer. Request renewal of interlibrary loan items here. More...
- Read more details on checking out materials here.
- …access the Library through my smartphone?
- …print and make copies in the Library?
- Click here or visit the campus IACCESS page for more information. More...
- Imprints can also help you with copying and copy card services.
- Scanners are available in both the Geisel (1st Floor West & 2nd Floor East) and Biomedical Library (1st floor) buildings.
- …find computers I can use in the Library?
- …reserve a study room?
- …connect to the campus wireless network?
- …find textbooks for current classes that I can check out?
- Search the online catalog or Reserves look-up tool. Most reserve items can only be checked out for 3 hours, though non-reserve copies may be available for longer checkout. More...
- Though current textbooks can be difficult to borrow from other libraries, you can try Circuit or Melvyl to see if items held elsewhere may be sent here for your use. More...
- …get a job at the Library?
Check for available student positions posted on the Human Resources Office window in Geisel Library, or view all and apply for UC San Diego student jobs on Port Triton.